On Demand Webinar: Setting and Enforcing Occupancy Standards That Avoid Fair Housing Trouble
1-Hour Webinar: Setting and Enforcing Occupancy Standards That Avoid Fair Housing Trouble
- Originally Recorded: October 23, 2018
- Speaker: Theresa L. Kitay, attorney based in Oak Island, N.C., and a Director of the Fair Housing Institute
- Purchase, Download, and View Instantly!
Can you be found guilty of housing discrimination for applying an occupancy policy limiting all units to two people per bedroom? According to several recent court rulings, the answer is yes.
Even though, as a general rule, HUD considers the two-person/bedroom standard reasonable under the Fair Housing Act, HUD has indicated that it may not be reasonable in every situation.
In this one-hour webinar, attorney Theresa L. Kitay discusses how to update your occupancy policy in light of recent court rulings and with the aim of heading off potential fair housing trouble. You’ll learn how to base occupancy decisions on:
- The needs—and rights—of families with children
- The ages of the family members
- The layouts of your apartments
- The capacity of your building’s systems to accommodate residents
- Local laws meant to curtail overcrowding
- Special circumstances, such as student housing
This presentation is geared to:
- Owners of multifamily housing properties
- Managers of multifamily housing properties
- Leasing agents
- Attorneys and other rental property advisors
About the Speaker
Theresa L. Kitay is an attorney based in Oak Island, N.C., and a Director of the Fair Housing Institute, a private organization providing online training in fair housing and accessibility issues to housing professionals. She has been widely recognized as the nation's foremost legal expert on accessibility issues—including both Fair Housing Act and ADA requirements. In addition to general defense and preventive representation for people who own or manage all forms of housing, Terry works with owners, developers, architects, and engineers of new multifamily construction on issues of physical accessibility nationwide. Terry is also a member of the Board of Advisors of Fair Housing Coach.
Please Note: The information contained in this webinar is provided by Vendome Real Estate Media and is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice or as an offer to perform legal services on any subject matter.